Certification for private seniors’ residences (PSRs)

As a way to ensure your health and safety, private seniors’ residences (PSRs) have to be certified.

To be certified, residences have to meet a number of requirements, including the requirement to have a fire safety plan, to have a minimum number of staff in the residence at all times, to define procedures for managing medication that is prescribed, distributed, or administered to residents, and more.

To find out if your residence is certified, see the Registre des résidences privées pour aînées.  (in French only)

Private seniors’ residences are also required to offer services that fall under at least two of the following categories:

  • Meal services
  • Personal assistance services
  • Nursing services
  • Housekeeping services
  • Security services
  • Recreational services

The services offered and the cost for those services must be listed in your lease and in Appendix 6. So it’s important to consider your needs carefully and understand the cost and type of services before you sign the lease.

Ask all the questions you need to before signing a lease to live in a private seniors’ residence (PSR).

No matter what the problem is, you can call your local CAAP for help. Especially since CAAP services are free and confidential.


To find and contact your local CAAP: